These are the flags that were used and carried throughout the Civil War by North Carolina Troops.
The original flag of the Confederate States of America, commonly known as the "STARS AND BARS", was approved by the Congress of the Provisional Government of the Confederate States.
The first official flag of the Confederacy, called the "Stars and Bars," was flown from March 5, 1861 to May 26, 1863.
The flag of the Confederate States of America shall consist of a red field with a white space extending horizontally through the center, and equal in width to one-third the width of the flag. The red space above and below to be the same width as the white. The union blue extending down through the white space and stopping at the lower red space. In the center of the union a circle of white stars corresponding in number with the States in the Confederacy.
The second flag of the Confederate States of America, commonly known as the "STAINLESS BANNER", was created by an Act of the Congress of the Confederate States (Statutes at Large, First Congress, Session III, Chapter 88), approved by the President on the 1st day of May, 1863.
In the South, the nickname "Stainless" was held to refer to "the unspotted virtue and honor of Southerners and their fight for independence from the tyranny and aggression of northern states."
The Congress of the Confederate States of America do enact, That the flag of the Confederate States shall be as follows: the field to be white, the length double the width of the flag, with the union, (now used as the battle flag,) to be a square of two thirds the width of the flag, having the ground red; thereon a broad saltier of blue, bordered with white, and emblazoned with white mullets or five pointed stars, corresponding in number to that of the Confederate States.
The third and final flag of the Confederate States of America, was created by an Act of the Congress of the Confederate States (Second Congress, Session II), approved by the President on the 4th day of March, 1865, four years to the day after the first raising of the STARS AND BARS in Montgomery.
The red vertical stripe was added to dispel confusion with the flag of surrender when the flag was not unfurled. It was sometimes called the blood-stained or blood-dipped banner.
The Congress of the Confederate States of America do enact, That the flag of the Confederate States shall be as follows: The width two-thirds of its length, with the union (now used as the battle flag) to be in width three-fifths of the width of the flag, and so proportioned as to leave the length of the field on the side of the union twice the width of the field below it; to have the ground red and a broad blue saltier thereon, bordered with white and emblazoned with mullets or five pointed stars, corresponding in number to that of the Confederate States; the field to be white, except the outer half from the union to be a red bar extending the width of the flag.
The battle flag of the Confederacy is square, of various sizes for the different branches of the service: 48 inches square for the infantry, 36 inches for the artillery, and 30 inches for the cavalry. It was used in battle beginning in December 1861 until the fall of the Confederacy. The blue color on the Saltire in the battle flag was navy blue, as opposed to the much lighter blue of the Naval Jack.
The Confederate Navy Jack, 1863-1865 It is the most universally recognized symbol of the South, where it is commonly called the rebel or Dixie flag. This flag is often erroneously called "the Confederate Flag". (This flag is often incorrectly referred to as the Stars and Bars; the actual Stars and Bars is the First National Flag.)
The Confederate Navy Jack, 1861-1863
This flag was carried by the North Carolina Regiments, along with the Confederate colors, throughout the Civil War.
The first ten regiments of North Carolina State Troops Volunteers - and renumbered later as the 11th through 20th regiments of North Carolina Troops received silk state flags made in Norfolk, Virginia by a private contractor. Later on, in 1862, the state provided these regiments wool and cotton versions of the state flag made at the Raleigh Depot. These flags were issued at least through the 55th NCT.